The icon of Theotokos Eleovrytisa comes from the iconostasis of the old church of Saint George in Karyes. In the middle of the 19th century, after the restoration of the cell, it was transferred to the Holy Monastery of Simonopetra.
In early June 1974, while Hieromonk Vissarion was in charge of the monastery, one of the empty containers placed next to the icon turned up full of oil. On November 22 1989, the hierodeacon Chariton, while cleaning and preparing the empty containers for the new harvest, found two of them already filled with pure and clean oil. Surprised as he was, he reported the event to the abbot Aimilianos, as well as to the rest of the monks. In this way it was revealed the deep and infinite care of the Virgin Mary. After this event, the icon was transferred with great honors to the Katholikon.
As far as its iconographic type is concerned, the icon follows the prototype of Theotokos Hodegetria, which depicts the Virgin Mary with the Divine Infant in her left hand, while the right hand is placed near her chest. Jesus Christ holds a closed scroll, which rests on His left knee, while with His right hand He blesses the faithful. The Virgin Mary is dressed in a purple robe adorned with gold embroidery. The background of the icon was later covered by a silver frame decorated with flowers. The Virgin's halo is also adorned with flowers. On the halo of Jesus Christ we find the inscription "He who is". The inscription at the bottom of the frame indicates the donor and the date of creation of the silver frame, 1997.
The picture dates back to the first half of the 18th century (1738), as it shares many stylistic features with similar works of the same period.