The icon of Saint John the Forerunner is placed on the Dionysiou Monastery. However, it followed a long path until it reached Mount Athos and took the place it has until today.
Specifically, the icon belonged to a Metochion of Mount Athos in Metamorphosi of Chalkidiki. With the arrival of refugees and the Greek state's efforts to restore the Asia Minor population, large areas of land belonging to the Metochion were expropriated and granted for cultivation. The icon was then given to a refugee family, who took great care of it and honored it. In fact, they experienced its miraculous grace, as the Saint John the Baptist brought health and prosperity to their newborn children. In 1940, following a decision of the monastery, the icon was transferred to Mount Athos, where it is still placed today.
As far as the depiction of Saint John is concerned, he is represented frontally. With his right hand he blesses the faithful, while with his left hand he holds an open scroll with the inscription 'Repent, for the kingdom of heaven'. His clothing is dark-colored. From his left shoulder hangs a wide cloak in earthy tones. Its folds show off the weight and the thick coating of the fabrics.
In his right hand he holds a golden rod. At the top of it there is the cross that symbolizes the martyrdom of the Saint and the confession of his faith. Around his face stretches the halo. His expression is serious and testifies the great task entrusted to him, as the forerunner of the Messiah.
Two wings are painted on his back, highlighting the Saint as an angel on earth and a harbinger of the coming of Jesus Christ. This iconographic type is attributed to the post-Byzantine period and especially to the Cretan painters of the 15th century.
In the Dionysiou Monastery there is the Saint’s right hand as well as other icons dedicated to him. Lastly, there are also similar representations in engravings that survive until today.