The icon of Panagia Hodegetria (Directress, The one who shows the way) is placed in the northeastern column of the Katholikon in the Holy Monastery of Konstamonitou.
The iconographic type is strictly followed. The Virgin Mary is depicted full-length, holding Jesus Christ in her left hand. He blesses the faithful with his right hand, while with his left hand he holds a closed scroll. On the golden background of the icon, the inscriptions are clearly visible: "Mother of God" and "Hodegetria". The Virgin's halo is decorated with pearls and other precious stones. The frame of the icon dates back to the 19th century.
At the bottom there is an inscription in Greek: "By the efforts of the abbot of the Monastery of Konstamonitou, Archimandrite Simeon, 1864" and in Russian: "Novokerkovsk city".
According to a manuscript of 1698, the icon comes from the Church of Our Lady of Blachernae in Konstantinople. It was offered to the Monastery of Konstamonitou during the reign of the Emperor Andronicus II (1282-1328). However, there is evidence that the icon was brought to the monastery in 1360 by the Queen Anna of Serbia.
As far as its stylistic characteristics are concerned, it is noticed that artistic elements of the last quarter of the 14th century are adopted.