This particular icon of the Virgin Mary was miraculously discovered in a region of France. Thus, the nickname “Our Lady of France” was adopted.
Although it is a small icon, which has suffered much damage, the miraculous way in which it was discovered and arrived at the Monastery of Saint Paul makes it one of the most beloved relics.
According to the Athonite tradition, the icon was discovered by Solon Floros. The latter was a convict in France, where he was forced to participate in forced labor. One day a monk appeared to him in his sleep and announced that the next day he would find an icon of the Virgin Mary while digging. He should deliver this icon to the Monastery of Saint Paul. And so, it happened. Digging, Solon picked up a heavy piece of solid earth. Through the dirt he discerned a prayer bread and the icon of the Virgin Mary, which he quickly hid in his backpack. When he was freed, he returned to Thessaloniki. While he was gravely sick, the same monk appeared in his sleep and demanded that the icon was taken to where he had indicated. Solon, being in a bad condition, did not do as the old man asked. The monk appeared again, demanding even more urgently that his request be fulfilled. On March 3, 1922 Solon handed the icon over to the monastery.
Unfortunately, the deterioration is so intense that the figures of the Virgin Mary and the Divine Infant are barely discernible. The iconographic type of Theotokos Hodegetria, holding Jesus in her arms while blessing the faithful, is probably the one to be followed.