Archbishop
Saint John was born in Novgorod to pious parents, Nicholas and Christina. From an early age, he dedicated himself to God, became a priest, and together with his brother Gabriel founded a monastery. Through their prayers to the Most Holy Theotokos, they received the means necessary to complete the construction of the church.
After the death of Archbishop Arkadios, Saint John was chosen as his successor. During his time on the archiepiscopal throne, Prince Roman marched against Novgorod with great army. While praying, the saint received a divine revelation instructing him to bring the icon of the Mother of God to the city walls. The icon miraculously shed tears, which was regarded as a sign of mercy and divine help. Through the intercessions of the saint and the intervention of Theotokos, the enemy was defeated.
Saint John built many churches, while he was also known for his charity and gentleness. He possessed authority over unclean spirits. At the same time, he endured many severe temptations. Once, he was unjustly condemned, yet through the providence of God he was restored to his ministry.
Shortly before his repose, he became a monk. On September 7, 1186, he surrendered his spirit to the Lord. His holy relic was buried in the Church of the Wisdom of God. His brother Gregory succeeded him as Archbishop.
