The Holy Martyrs of the Monastery of Daou Penteli (Holy Monastery of Pantocrator) lost their lives on Easter in 1680, when the brotherhood, a stronghold of Orthodoxy, was attacked by algerian pirates. At the time, the monastic brotherhood was gathered in the church for the celebration of Easter when the attackers launched a brutal assault, killing 179 monks. The only survivor was a hieromonk, who returned the following day to bury his brethren according to the rites and traditions of the Church.
The burial site of the martyrs remained unknown for nearly three centuries. In September 1965, during restoration work, their holy relics were discovered. They were found to be myrrh-streaming, a sign revered in the Orthodox tradition.
On 14 August 1992, the 179 martyrs were officially glorified as saints. Since then, their holy relics have been venerated by the faithful, bestowing blessings and being associated with numerous miraculous acts of the Divine Grace.
